2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I completely disagree. Maybe for you folks in different tax brackets paying cash for vehicles this is true, but that is NOT my experience. I was trying to buy my wife a Mazda CX5, had my 2 local dealers refuse to sell me one at MSRP b/c they wanted to tack on their stupid addendums, told me to my face they wouldn't sell at MSRP. Their exact words were "For every 1 customer like you who wants it at sticker, we have 10 who will pay with the tint and stuff installed." Same thing with an SRT Durango I had, local dealer refused to sell at MSRP. In both of those instances I had to drive 2+ hours to a different dealer to get one for sticker.

Dealerships are a scam and absolutely should not exist. Leave the service departments obviously, but LIKE ANY OTHER GOOD I should be able to pay the list price. I would MUCH PREFER to buy a car online and not have to talk to some 16 year old jackass who memorized half the spec sheet.
In this unique and temporary market that is correct. My "just pay MSRP" comment is developed and delivered in reference to a normal market. If supply is extremely limited for any product with high demand you can expect the price to increase up to the point of equilibrium.

If a company has a break even point of 10,000 dollars a month normally sells 500 widgets a month with a $30 profit and makes $5,000 in gross (minus fixed expenses) now they can only sell 100 due to supply limitations but 1000 people per month now want to buy a widget, how much should they charge per widget? It's going to be more.

Or maybe The Great Dealership Scam is responsible for expensive milk, gasoline, etc etc also. Everything is subject to supply and demand, inflation, etc. Basic economics is not a scam.

Also, I did pay over sticker for my last three new cars, if you want a car right now, this is just how it is. But don't worry, it won't be too long and we can all go back to getting 10 grand off MSRP and I can guarantee you won't still be saying you should still be able to pay MSRP.
Appreciate 4