View Single Post
      12-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
After a few hundred miles of G80 driving on a square set-up of 275/35 19 Wintrac Pro snow tires, I can say that even on very twisty, fun roads at a good pace, the square set-up feels great. I think at any safe and reasonable street speeds, 99.9% of drivers will not feel any appreciable handling difference on the G8x platform between 20/19 and 19 square, particularly when talking about snow tires (which aren't the most precise to begin with).

Funny you mention a Subie with Michelins. I ran PA4s on my '18 STi. They were a surprisingly good performance tire, and were pretty great for that car on packed snow and ice. But if I put them on too early in the season and caught a warm day, or left them on too late, warm dry pavement ate them up like candy.
2013 WRX here. I totally agree. Warm dry pavement and aggressive driving wears winter tires very fast. Once I put the snows on, I save my fun driving for when there is snow on the ground. Then they are an absolute blast!

And I do think I will consider even an 18” wheel for a higher profile tire (same OEM tire diameter). We can get some horrible potholes so if I can fit an 18” over the calibers I might go that route. Heck, I was even looking at inexpensive rally wheels. I do plan on using the M3 for ice time trial races, so won’t mind a rally look for the winter.

My WRX is sitting in the garage wearing Xi3’s and steelies, but I won’t do that to the M3. LOL
Appreciate 0