View Single Post
      12-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
Thanks! You've given me something to do the rest of the night.

I feel like I am going to know so much about this M3 when I get it, but I'm sure it will just be the starting point.

EDIT: I read that thread, thanks for the link! It does answer the question. Case closed it seems for OEM 19/20. But for winter tires the sheer pucker factor of turn in might not matter as much (i.e., 19/19 or even 18/18 for larger sidewall). I have been using Michelin Xi3 tires for the past several winters on my WRX and they are definitely not a precise turning tire, and I tend to baby them to not burn them up on dry pavement.
After a few hundred miles of G80 driving on a square set-up of 275/35 19 Wintrac Pro snow tires, I can say that even on very twisty, fun roads at a good pace, the square set-up feels great. I think at any safe and reasonable street speeds, 99.9% of drivers will not feel any appreciable handling difference on the G8x platform between 20/19 and 19 square, particularly when talking about snow tires (which aren't the most precise to begin with).

Funny you mention a Subie with Michelins. I ran PA4s on my '18 STi. They were a surprisingly good performance tire, and were pretty great for that car on packed snow and ice. But if I put them on too early in the season and caught a warm day, or left them on too late, warm dry pavement ate them up like candy.
Appreciate 0