View Single Post
      05-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #62
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
As I stated previously, it takes time to get to know a car AND it takes a car time to come into its own. In latter regard, two things have always stood out to me as time moves on with performance-oriented vehicles . . .

Exhaust note usually gets a bit louder and deeper, but this is something that takes a few thousand miles. As it stands, the G80 M3C sounds just fine to me, and I am more interested in the acoustics coming from under the hood than out the tailpipes with turbo engines. Specifically, how the engine ‘sings’ when wrung out . . . I personally love the G80 song.

A second performance aspect that takes some time to develop is ‘handling;’ how steering and suspension come together with the chassis.

Out of the box it was immediately apparent that the G80 adaptive suspension is far superior to the M2C fixed suspension when it comes to real-world roadways. COMOFRT mode actually quite comfortable. SPORT/SPORT PLUS modes transition you into the M2C realm in terms of ride ‘firmness.’

Impressions over the initial 600 miles, or so, were that the G80 had a difficult time hiding its mass during spirited daily driving, e.g., with aggressive turns. The steering and suspension were not loose, but the vehicles mass was revealed in chassis roll.

Now, at around the 1,000-mile mark, I have begun to experience the G80 handling start to come into its own. Non doubt, a component of handling perception relates to my simply becoming familiar with the vehicle. However, the suspension has indeed settled quite a bit and the steering . . . well, steering is so subjective, I will just say the steering feels great.

Overall, the G80 handling through spirited turns has really begun to come into its own over the past 400 miles, or so; it has really developed a nice sense of balance.

Does the G80 compare to my 718 CGTS? Of course not . . . just in case anyone does not understand the difference between a Porsche mid- or rear-engine sport car and the ///M car sporty sedan/coupe chassis. How about the M2C? Not quite, but close . . . inching closer with each passing day.

Of note. . . I had spacers placed almost immediately upon taking delivery, so I have no valid opinion regarding the impact spacers have on handling compared to stock setup.

Finally, seats are a HUGE factor when it comes to spirited driving experience and, in particular, handling perception. In such regard, the CF bucket seats are simply amazing in how secure and connected they make you feel to the vehicle. The M2C seats were great but did not ‘hug’ or secure you nearly to the extent of the G80 CF bucket seats.

Further, the M2C seats seemed to be quite limited in how low they could be adjusted; always felt like I was sitting ‘high’ in the cabin and over the road. The CF bucket seats offer a much lower seating profile in the cabin which, in turn, gives you a nice sense of being seated closer to the road. In terms of comfort . . . I rarely have a passenger BUT, when along for the ride, my wife never stops talking about how much she loves her seat.

///AVM
Just want to hop in and thank you for posting these thoughts - they're helping keep me sane while I wait for mine to be delivered.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
jonahk705.00