View Single Post
      05-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #54
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Small Miracle Delivered

Going back to the beginning of this thread, my overall high praise for the G80 M3C was, unfortunately, overwhelmed by one major disappointment . . . soft and slow ZF8 manual mode shifts, particularly high in the rev range.

I felt and stated it would take a small miracle for me to accept and enjoy the ZF8 manual mode in its factory form, e.g., BMW update to ZF8 transmission programming. . . well, it appears a miracle has been delivered.

After driving a few miles in start-up (COMFORT) mode to let the car warm up, M1 activated with settings previously noted (including S3 transmission). As per usual, the shifts were soft, slow and disappointing.

For whatever reason, up until now, I never sought to visually confirm S3 setting in the instrument cluster, e.g., three out of three bars. Today, however, the transmission setting caught my eye and I noticed only one bar was lit. I activated M2 - also set to S3 - and, again, only one bar was lit. I went back into the M1/2 settings and confirmed S3 setting for each. Hmmmm?

I then scrolled to the bottom of the M1/2 setting and ‘Reset’ both. Commenced driving, activated M1, confirmed three out of three bars in instrument cluster and . . . BOOOOOM! The small miracle I was after occurred!! The shifts instantly became aggressive and quick throughout the rev range. Activated M2, confirmed three bars and, once again, shifts were on par with expectation.

For those wondering, all other M1/M2 functions were activated according to intended settings. I could always see the yellow icon in the instrument cluster light up with MDM activation. Center console exhaust button always lit (green). Also, the infotainment home screen always confirmed M1/2 Engine, Suspension, Steering and Brake settings.

For whatever reason, the Transmission setting is not displayed in the infotainment home screen; only as a small icon in the instrument cluster. This represents a primary reason I never noticed it was not properly activated until now. I simply never took notice of how many bars were lit in the small icon.

I have absolutely no idea how or why my original M1/2 transmission (S3) settings were not being activated up until now? Or why the M1/2 ‘took effect’ after re-setting them?? Does not seem to matter at this point.

I had a single major problem with the G80 that was robbing me of the performance experience I had grown accustomed and expected. The problem appears solved, and I am really quite ecstatic . . . as though a small miracle occurred.

///AVM
Appreciate 15
Multimodal2896.00
Dzo76.00
PLF693767.50
bri10425941.50
CanuckM665.50
Scorp!on1514.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
evilalien450.50
Gdiddy23907.50
2011ninja3399.00