05-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #48
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Loving the civil and thoughtful discussion and HONEST assessment of the G80, ///AVM. The vast majority of G80 owner reviews are glowing with very little admission of trade-offs, which exist in every model. And that's natural because owners just paid $70K-$100K+ for their cars and want to affirm that purchase, even if they're doing so unconsciously.

I think you missed a nuance in my last post though. I don't believe BMW has traded any performance in their design and engineering decisions with the G80. They may have eliminated some "rawness" which many equate to soul and excitement. That is where I think they are differentiating the M2 and M3 - both perform, the M2 marginally less so, and the M2 feels more like a sports car. As another poster said, the M2 feels more nimble primarily because of its wheelbase, but that doesn't mean it's actually any quicker.

The early stats and reviews I've seen indicate that the G80 M3 beats the F80 and F87 by the numbers and on road courses. Where the F87 probably outperforms the G80 is on an autocross track.
Mr. M

You are welcome . . . and likewise.

I have said it several times already and will repeat it once again here . . . the G80 deserves and will get my full and fair assessment over time. Time to allow me to 'mesh' with the G80, and time for the G80 to come into its own.

No secret, I am not happy with the ZF8 manual mode. Still, today, I opened my mind to ZF8 automatic mode and, honestly, it is quite impressive . . . who knows, at some point not too far down the road, I might be saying I really enjoy spirited daily driving with the G80 in ZF8 automatic mode?

At the end of the day, I am only after a visceral and enjoyable driving experience. . . I am not after perfect.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 05-07-2021 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 0