View Single Post
      05-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #45
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
As far as the BMW lineup and BMW sacrificing overall performance in favor of refinement with the G80, that does indeed seem to be the case . . . but not the direction I personally want to travel wi th them.
Loving the civil and thoughtful discussion and HONEST assessment of the G80, ///AVM. The vast majority of G80 owner reviews are glowing with very little admission of trade-offs, which exist in every model. And that’s natural because owners just paid $70K-$100K+ for their cars and want to affirm that purchase, even if they’re doing so unconsciously.

I think you missed a nuance in my last post though. I don’t believe BMW has traded any performance in their design and engineering decisions with the G80. They may have eliminated some “rawness” which many equate to soul and excitement. That is where I think they are differentiating the M2 and M3 - both perform, the M2 marginally less so, and the M2 feels more like a sports car. As another poster said, the M2 feels more nimble primarily because of its wheelbase, but that doesn’t mean it’s actually any quicker.

The early stats and reviews I’ve seen indicate that the G80 M3 beats the F80 and F87 by the numbers and on road courses. Where the F87 probably outperforms the G80 is on an autocross track.
Appreciate 4
///AVM2529.50
MmmmmM22588.50