View Single Post
      03-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #22
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

For those who are questioning why we wouldn't just "trust" what BMW is suggesting…..here's two comments:

1) As someone brought up earlier….they want to sell you more BMWs down the road when yours doesn't last forever.

2) I owned a 2013 335i (before recently ordering my g80 M3)…..and in trying to be overly conservative, I asked for an oil change well before the computer suggested it. Not only was that first oil change on my dime…..but, you would have thought I asked the SA to write me into his will….. hE wAs So AgHaSt ThAt I wOuLd AsK fOr An OiL cHaNgE bEfOrE iT wAs DuE. And then it happened again…..and again…..and again. Like clockwork, every time I'd ask for an extra oil change on my dime before the computer said it was due…..I'd get the same, "why would you want to do that??" response from the SA. At some point, as my car became less and less special to me, I quit the "extra" changes and just rolled with the BMW recommended intervals. Fast forward 5 years. I bring my 335i in for some oil leaks out of warranty. In my conversation with my SA (different SA than the ones from years earlier)…..I asked him why these gaskets go so early and why these oil leaks start occurring after only 5 years. No joke…. he goes, "Yeah, you should probably have been bringing this in for more frequent oil changes than what BMW recommends. These engines start showing these wear issues earlier than normal because customers wait all the way until the computer says to change the oil. And over time, these engines just can't take that." I almost crapped my pants.

I guess the point is…..no one knows for sure. BUT, if you think it brings some added insurance to have the oil changed more frequently, that absolutely makes good scientific sense. I know I'll be changing the oil more frequently on my g80 when it arrives.
Appreciate 0