View Single Post
      10-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #643
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post

Thank you Joe and you can not be more accurate. I'm ok with mistakes, mistakes and accidents happen. It's just odd that it has become more the case than the exception. How did we get here? Keep me posted on updates from the house. Curious as to how they plan to remedy this.
Uploaded a quick sketch. Basically, the brown is the existing roof line that they were supposed to follow.

The black line is what they did do. Basically, they started measuring from the back of the roof (and lined it up perfectly so it matches the brown / original roof) but only up to a point about 1 foot or less off of the peak they should have gone up to. So they were going to then have a drop of about 8 inches from the original peak and bring the roof down on the same angle to try to blend it / make it look ok. Admittedly, we do have this style in other parts of the roof, but in each of those cases, the drop is several feet and looks obvious that it was planned. This...this just looks like they missed it (which is precisely what did in fact happen).

So the red is the proposed fix. Basically they are going to leave the back as is since it lines up with the original roof, create a triangle (red being bottom of triangle and then envision red sides that marries up with the brown sides perfectly, just didn't want to draw red over brown) and then try to reuse the existing front truss lumber to connect to the newly built triangle that follows the roof perfectly as well. They are probably going to have to throw a plate down on the floor joists to catch the new trusses that are coming down as well, because the front wall needs to be higher in order to catch the truss...which wouldn't have been an issue if the front wall had been moved out farther by a foot. But that's ok.

They'll have to create tails at the bottom by overlapping some 2x6's on the front truss or something to create the length for the overhang where the eavestrough will go, but that isn't load bearing so that's fine. I think in general, while the peak won't be exactly in the middle if you look at it on the side (which I don't care) the only thing that will alert someone to the fact there was an error, is that the soffit/eavestrough will be about three feet out from the house on the new garage, compared to about 2 feet out around the rest of the house. Whatever though - that's something I'm willing to live with.

But they'll have to rip apart the existing black line trusses to make it work...I don't imagine that's a big deal, I'm sure they can remove the nails easily enough. Otherwise, will need all new lumber.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0