View Single Post
      05-10-2022, 03:08 PM   #7
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
A customer can already purchase a car with no haggling. Just pay MSRP and stop asking for discounts.

You can already buy a car online/over the phone without going into a dealership. I bought the last 3 of the 6 cars currently in my garage this way. R8 came from PA, X5M from CA, and X5 M50i from LA. All handled by wire. All showed up at my house, never left home.

It's really all just an awareness advertisement for what already exists.

What is "true online sales?" When you order most things online they come from a "dealer" not from the manufacturer, most of whom have no provisions to complete a retail transaction. Amazon is a dealer.

Many people seem to forget that "you ain't buyin a loaf of bread." Buying a car is much more like buying a house than any other item. Maybe you could compare a gun in that they are registered to your name, typically require hard signatures and identification verification, etc etc. Each state has unique vehicle inspection requirements, and so on. Maybe some individuals can be trusted to pay in full and register their car properly and pay the taxes, etc on their own but 99% of the population can't or won't. Even Tesla has brick and mortar stores and of course service centers.

Let them make things more convenient and weed out the plaid jackets but "getting rid of the dealer" as a generality is as stupid sounding as "defunding the police."
Why pay MSRP which includes profit for the dealership when you can pay a fixed price from BMW and cut out the middleman?

Go online, build a car exactly how I want it, complete all paperwork and purchase it without having anyone slow the process down or try to upsell me things I don't want; that's a win IMO. It's not like dealerships are going away, you can still pay MSRP if you want.
Appreciate 2
Conissah1574.50