United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamorskii View Post
What style would you recommend for a novice or an occasional user like most of us, I assume. I was first thinking open face for better ventilation, but then started to doubt myself and thinking what if one ends up hitting a steering wheel or an airbag, it'd be much better to have a chin protected. ?
Some places outside of the state do not allow open faced helmets, but I think all the usual groups in MN do so if that's ever a possibility, easier to choose the regular helmet now. I wouldn't ever choose an open faced helmet personally as the chin and cheek protection is pretty useful. The bigger risk is debris breaking through the windshield or window.

I have not heard of anyone requiring regular helmets to have the visor down so leaving the visor open provides plenty of air flow when your windows are down. Be sure to pick up a balaclava as those help keep your helmet dry and wick away the moisture from your head. I have three of them and rotate throughout the day.

Also some Nomex underwear truly do help keep you cool and I wear them underneath pants and a long sleeve shirt or t-shirt on really hot days. There's usually deals around Black Friday for $50-$60 per Nomex shirt or pants. Normal prices start around $120 and unfortunately, the more expensive ones are usually better able to keep you cool and dry. The lower priced ones are good enough for short HPDE sessions.