12-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #34
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
It's not technically another key though. It's the key on the phone that can be used on the watch too. I didn't have to set up the watch as another key, it just showed up because it syncs with the phone. A BMW genius is "researching" the issue.

Glad you got yours working.

My guess is it's not the exact same key even though it was synced with the phone, otherwise the car shouldn't be able to tell if the car was unlocked by the watch or the phone.

I'm a network engineer and I get to work with a software that manages 100+ devices (mainly routers/switches). With this software we push out some basic configuration, one of them is password to harden the routers or switches. The password that is pushed out is the same on all the devices, but since the password is clear text the router/switch encrypts it by using certain parameters (ex. MAC address) that are unique to that device. So a 10 character password might turn into a 25+ character string all random. If you were to copy that encrypted password to another device it would not work, even though the clear text password was the same that was pushed by the software manager. Trying to explain this in layman's term so I apologize if I confuse you.

The whole point of what I said above is, the digital key might be the same, but the hardware and software combination is what makes it unique.
Appreciate 1