View Single Post
      11-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Another M3 on AST springs

I finally got what I needed to do this project as best I could the "right way". I only wish I had a real lift since I was unable to torque the rear camber bolts to where they need to be. I'll be driving cautiously until I get it to the alignment shop.

I think the stance looks great.

I followed the MSS instructions for the front spring install - it works, but the lack of visibility of how the top mount seats left me a little uneasy. The strut nut was just slightly off-center when I jacked up the wheel carrier, but it "figured itself out" when I lowered the car onto its wheels and before I torqued that nut down. I wish I could see that everything is seated properly, but you can't using this method. That being said, not taking out the entire assembly and having to use a spring compressor is mighty nice.

Few things I thought I should note:
-I used the rear diff as the rear jack point. Worked well and unlike some have mentioned in the forums, it is a valid jack point according to the BMW manual as seen in the photos.

-I purchased new TTY bolts for the rear strut to camber control arm mount. I forgot to get new single-use nuts for the camber bolt, but I'll let that slide. There is no way alignment shops put new bolts on when they do adjustments, so I'm not worried.

-Get a QuickJack! I have the 4 Esco jack stands, and they are sweet, but the whole process is annoying and its nearly impossible to get leverage for those bolts in the rear. And I just don't have the confidence that something won't slip off when torquing some of these bolts.

-Labor to install around here is about $1200-$1800. Totally nuts. If you are SoCal and pay the $350-$450 range, do it. I would have done that despite in the end having added a bunch of tools to my arsenal (like a 16mm socket and wrench. I've never had to us one before!)

-The strut nut socket worked well. A little tedious, but worked. I used a small ratchet with an elbow and 10mm socket to counter-hold the piston.

-Oh, watch those level sensors. Even knowing about them I managed to break one arm. And of course, not just the $7 plastic arm, but the $40 sensor (MSRP $80).

Hit me up with any questions on the process - this forum has been extremely helpful in answer my questions about the minute details of this process, so I can reciprocate.

Photos are random, but someone may find them helpful.

Last edited by mattssi; 11-26-2021 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Removed ride quality statement.
Appreciate 3
tom @ eas8222.50
HTTP 4102141.50
FISH225404.50