United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 M4 Competition - IOMG

Garage List
My new M4 Competition - Perspective from an Audi / 911 Owner

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

It's been many years since my last posts on this forum (13). Much time has passed and I count myself incredibly lucky to reach out and introduce to you my new AW M4 Comp.

First, I'll make I have a few comments based on previous and current experiences around tech as a multiple time Audi owner ('18 A5 sportback with APR/032 mods, '20 Q8 s-line/black optics, fiancé is driving a '21 Q7 prestige, the daily driver).

I also owned a '17 991.2 base 911 for about 18 months and will make some performance comparisons there.

Tech:
Latest Audi MMI interface (two screens controlling media/climate) is a bit more user friendly in the sense there aren't quite as many steps involved to get to a particular menu.

BMW has much less lag during initial startup.

Apple CarPlay is MUCH quicker to connect on the M4 then any of the 3 Audis I have owned. The Audis would also disconnect at random moments mid-drive. This was never resolved even after firmware updates.

The M4's HUD is amazing, especially in MSport mode with the large tach front and center. Makes you feel very aware and dare I say "safe" during spirited driving, especially during break in. I really appreciate having that information at hand. Not that I would wheel the Q7/Q8 in anywhere near the same degree as the M4, but I do drive my cars with intent and the Audis have a much smaller HUD footprint.

The HK sound system is really a let down coming from the B/O systems in all 3 Audis (mid tier system, not the $5900 one). Even compared to the sportback, which was known to sound a bit drowned out due to the open hatch nature of the vehicle, it had tighter base, crisper treble, although the mids are better on the M4.

I really do appreciate having some buttons again compared to the 2 SUVs with full touch screen everything. The Audis looked amazing, and worked fairly well/was responsive to touch, but nothing can supplement the simple tactility of pressing a button.

For the price, cooled seats should be standard. I'm in AZ, so its very much needed. The BMWapp aircon preconditioning is pretty amazing. That's not a feature available on Audi and is a game changer.

I'm in Tech/Staffing as a profession, and a Turo PowerHost as a side business, so my world tends to lean towards "tech" in genera, and the M4 seems to fit that type of lifestyle.

Performance: 991.2 base vs M4.

For this comparison, I'll focus simply on the performance and not the tech, seeming the 911 was quite a bit dated in comparison tech-wise.

Power/Speed: the M4 Comp is quicker, hands down. At every speed, from a dig or roll, the 500+hp M4 would walk my 911. Both are underrated power-wise, but no comparison.

Suspension: the 911 was a softer ride overall. It was a mom SPASM car with the base suspension, but 20" carrera classic wheels. It tramlined about the same as the M4. You can feel through the wheel the M4 has much more aggressive camber. The M4 feels much more "on its toes" at all times, like it never really wants to relax, even in comfort suspension mode.

PDK/8speed: PDK was great, but I have a controversial comment. I think the 8speed is faster. Maybe it was the tuning on the base 911 PDK, and not representative of others models (I have driven many other model 911s/boosters/caymans that felt quicker), but I always felt I wasn't getting the lighting quick snappy shifts in my 911 than I got in other Porsches. I think the M4 seat of the pants review (I am a total amateur, so take with grain of salt) is that on level 3 manual mode, the 8 speed shifts a bit quicker. Weird comment, I know.

Braking: pretty similar overall power-wise. I think the 911 had much more natural feeling. Sport brake in M4 is really sensitive and comfort is too inert. I keep on sport, but don't love it.

Steering: 911. We all knew that would be the case.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many things, but these are just a few observations from 2 weeks of ownership on the m4.

Here are some photos of the cars. No pro photos of the M4 just yet.
Attached Images

golovko379.00
Scorp!on1511.50
heavyD^23688.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
'Cane8481.50
Bahamut709.50
Gdiddy23906.50
EXE462100.00
Sedan_Clan24979.00
ppointer743.00
Snake882.50