05-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #334
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLocal017 View Post
I was a pretty diehard bmw fan until this current generation where the software updates made a drastic difference between the various civic, comp, cs, GTS models. I was able to get my civic m4 dialed in with a tune and various oem software coding combos, but the fact the car wasn’t out of the box setup to be the best that it could be annoyed me. I understand that incremental improvements are made over time, but now bmw releases multiple setups on top of one another, so you’re not getting incremental improvements, you’re just getting artificially enhanced / downgraded versions to hit target price points. The various downgraded AMG models started this trend and it, in my opinion, really degraded the brand cachet.

Leaving aside brand dilution of the M badge, it used to be you bought an M car and you knew it was setup to be the best it could be at the time - suspension, engine tune, etc. I understand the appeal of 3 settings for everything from steering, dampers, throttle, valves open / shut, brake boost (now a thing apparently!), but to quote Jeremy Clarkson - “I don’t want to set it up, that’s what I paid you for!”. If you’ve got 3 settings for 5 systems and a separate set of software tweaks for 5 versions of the same M car, I struggle to see how you can devote adequate time to making one “the ultimate driving machine”. Oh well, guess I’m getting old...
The thing is, until recently there just weren’t options for manufacturers to do so, the technology wasn’t there. There has been a revolution in manufacturing over the last decade, with advanced technology seeping laterally and becoming quasi-ubiquitous. Configuring capabilities through software changes is the name of the game. These companies are simply taking advantage of what exists nowadays.

It’s hard to buy a bad car now. It’s only when manufacturers build it to a price point, or get caught out of a multi-year refresh/model cycle, that you notice big differences.

Similar technology exists in cars of the same class, that’s why the M3, RS4, C63 and Giulia perform so similarly. In 1995 it was a very different story.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0