TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by humisfum View Post
Yeah it’s so irritating they didn’t just stick with this. So easy to understand. I presume marketing convinced them to add the i to make it seem cool and different but for me it had the opposite effect.

I still dislike the SUV naming convention. First of all an M SUV doesn’t make sense to me. But then if you want a true M SUV it’s an X5M not an MX5 because it would run into a conflict with Mazda?

In my opinion they could have just cut the 4 6 and 8 series and kept them as 3 series coupe, 5 series gc, and 7 series gt or something and kept the 4 6 and 8 as the respective SUV equivalents of the sedans. But nooo they gotta make coupe models entire new series.
That might all change in the future. The legacy manufacturers are in a flux right determining the EV lineup for the future and balancing that out with the ICE models they may or may not want to keep.

Mercedes has already announced cutting a lot their models, either completely or combining models that make sense because they overlap each other (ex. C Class & E Class Coupé will become the CLE).

BMW is likely looking at the same thing - the 8 Series doesn’t belong in today’s market so if there was one model to cut or reposition, The 8 Series is the prime candidate.

Audi doesn’t necessarily have this problem - they resisted the urge to have a coupé version of every other model in its lineup.
Appreciate 0