View Single Post
      03-20-2023, 11:39 AM   #17
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
This. Mercedes went hard on the entire EQ branding but will drop the EQ name for electric vehicles and retain the current model names. Makes sense since all Mercedes-Benz will eventually be EVs in the future where EQS won’t be necessary, it will just be known as the S Class

Audi is changing to the odd/even numbers balding scheme - odd numbers ICE and even numbers EV. The A4 as you know it will eventually become the A5 for future A4’s that will be EV-only.

It makes sense but just makes everything confusing while they’re making this transition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
They had a very clear system to use (series number+2numbers+letter for engine type), but the did a mess of it when they introduced the ‘“i sub-brand”.

The classic system was great!
330i (gas)
330d (diesel)
330h (hybrid)
330e (electric)

With xi, xd, xh and xe for AWD versions.

They brought the i-something to look modern, to look Apple-ish (iMac, iPhone, etc) but they had a perfect system to use, a system that could have also entirely dropped the letter when all of their cars would be electric.

Now they seem to be changing to this system:

Electric vehicles
SUV: iX+series+2numbers
Non-SUV: i+series+2numbers

Non electric vehicles (same as before)
SUV: X+series+2numbers+engine type
Non-SUV: series+2numbers+engine type

I don’t like the “i” before on the electric vehicles. Just put an “e” at the end and everybody will understand it perfectly, and you’ll have a single naming system instead of two.
Yeah it’s so irritating they didn’t just stick with this. So easy to understand. I presume marketing convinced them to add the i to make it seem cool and different but for me it had the opposite effect.

I still dislike the SUV naming convention. First of all an M SUV doesn’t make sense to me. But then if you want a true M SUV it’s an X5M not an MX5 because it would run into a conflict with Mazda?

In my opinion they could have just cut the 4 6 and 8 series and kept them as 3 series coupe, 5 series gc, and 7 series gt or something and kept the 4 6 and 8 as the respective SUV equivalents of the sedans. But nooo they gotta make coupe models entire new series.
Appreciate 2
emulajavi421.50
NGT25555.00