TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
They had a very clear system to use (series number+2numbers+letter for engine type), but the did a mess of it when they introduced the ‘“i sub-brand”.

The classic system was great!
330i (gas)
330d (diesel)
330h (hybrid)
330e (electric)

With xi, xd, xh and xe for AWD versions.

They brought the i-something to look modern, to look Apple-ish (iMac, iPhone, etc) but they had a perfect system to use, a system that could have also entirely dropped the letter when all of their cars would be electric.

Now they seem to be changing to this system:

Electric vehicles
SUV: iX+series+2numbers
Non-SUV: i+series+2numbers

Non electric vehicles (same as before)
SUV: X+series+2numbers+engine type
Non-SUV: series+2numbers+engine type

I don’t like the “i” before on the electric vehicles. Just put an “e” at the end and everybody will understand it perfectly, and you’ll have a single naming system instead of two.
I agree.

I understand why they used the “i” prefix, they wanted it to treat it as another line up alongside the regular models like BMW i, but I don’t think BMW or any manufacturer new how fast EVs were going to be the norm.

Mercedes’ new direction is the way to go. They realized the EQ name was likely not going to last long when everything in their line up will eventually be all EVs and you can’t throwaway the current name of cars because they mean something to the history of MB as a whole.

Audi’s new naming scheme will also mean nothing when then entire line up becomes EVs then what do you do with the odd/even numbers and the cars you associate them with ?
Appreciate 2