View Single Post
      03-03-2024, 10:50 AM   #53
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

For those wondering, they cancelled it because they said it wasn't popular. In reality, it was popular. Volume dealers whined because they couldn't deliver an in-stock car and fluff it up with crap. There were only a few experienced dealers who truly excelled at ED and pumped cars through. The volume guys also bitched about PCD and now that's gone.

Then there's the logistics of it. BMW's bean counters are streamlining everything. Trains will whiff cars from plant to port, no stops or costs anywhere. Same principle applies to ED. They also likely had the plans to shift away from European production for most models well underway. All 2s and most US-bound 3s are now made in Mexico and all X cars but X1/2 are made in the US. Aside from the odd 550 and M5, most 5s and likely all 7s are leaser cars bought on lots. So, the big boat profit-centers weren't the ED target market.

That left it to M2/3/4 and 2/3 series cars in sport spec. The latter of which were usually near-stripper, enthusiast spec models sold not just at discount to MSRP but at $500-750 above ED invoice, or 10ish percent off sticker. My 2017 230i was something like $34k after incentive. In many cases, it probably wasn't very profitable. They could, of course, be like Porsche and charge for it. Porsche charge $1500. I'd happily pay $3k to order a 6MT M3/4 in indie paint for Euro pickup.
Appreciate 2
mathys202.50