05-25-2021, 09:20 AM   #19
brianray18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckM View Post
I finally picked up my new G80 today after ordering on March 6th!

The spec:

6 speed manual
Tanzanite Blue II on Full Kyalami Orange
Premium Pack, Black 826Ms
Shadowline Headlights
CF interior trim and Full Leather.

To say I am impressed would be the understatement of the year for me. I am sad that I almost limited myself to not purchasing it based only on initial internet pictures.

My first M was a Jerez Black E90 M3 in 6 speed manual with Fox Red interior. Truly loved that car to bits. Loved the playful, high energy nature of the car. Went into the F87 OG and Comp chassis a few years later, cars that I really enjoyed pushing and tracking as well.

[COLOR="Navy"]First impressions:
[/COLOR]

I only have 85 kms on this car so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

1. This is the first time I truly enjoy spending time inside a BMW cabin...the overall feeling of quality of materials is omnipresent.
The distance between gear shift, steering wheel and pedals is spot-on. This is something that has always stuck with me with Porsche and has really been nailed on this new G8x chassis.

2. The suspension team deserves an award. I live in Ontario which arguably has some of the most beat up roads in North America. You can thank our nordic winters for that. The ride is really firm, sporty but very composed. It soaks up bumps very well. The rebound of the travel itself is properly dialed in.

3. Last but not least, the overall presence. The last new car I owned that gathered this much attention was my F-Type in 2015 and my 911 C4S after I modified it. I dropped by my buddy's house and a ton of people would stop by and take a pic. Everyone really went on about the color combo. I am happy with TBII and KO. Non-car people kept praising the grille. Go figure that one out.

[COLOR="Red"]What I'm not so hot on?[/COLOR]

1. Sound system as I suspected is pretty lackluster. I haven't played too much with it yet but can't say my impressions so far are very positive. I would have gladly paid to upgrade it to a more fitting unit to a car of this caliber but BMW seems to have made that decision for us.

2. Clutch pedal engagement feels weird to me. I feel the engagement when I take off in first but it doesn't feel natural yet. It's odd...I think I will be installing a clutch stop and maybe a short shift kit to help address some of the play but it has only been a day.

[COLOR="red"]Will keep updating.[/COLOR]

For a first day what I can say to those who haven't picked up their car, hang in there because the wait is absolutely worth it. The in person presence, quality of the materials and overall ride makes this in my humble opinion the best M3 yet.

For those who are still on the fence, I can assure you that while you might not be 100% on the car, make sure you take one for an extended test drive before you write it off completely. It has blown away my expectation...and take this from someone who firmly believes that Porsche is the best thing since sliced bread.

For your $ and value, the G8x is the best car out there.

Attachment 2604181
Thats my exact built! Lmao
Appreciate 1
CanuckM665.50