View Single Post
      05-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #25
blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 Convertible

Only reason why the soft top is popular is due to the look. It is next to impossible to tell to 99.9% of people if that 4 series is a hard top versus a convertible (speaking of last gen 4 series or 3 series for that matter) and the .1% being us would have to look closely for the lining for the hard top versus the coupe.

I like the soft top look. I have it myself. However, I think a hard top convertible is a great look too for people like me who appreciate the subtle details of how it is different than the coupe with the top up. Cool to have a coupe look year round I will say. Most people just want to show off that they spent more money on a convertible versus a coupe it seems and a soft top shows it off.

However, the hard top is better for performance in regards to aerodynamics at higher speeds (top up of course) and it is so much easier to maintain. Most people ruin their soft tops since they don't know or spend the money/time to maintain them.

The next biggest thing as to why soft tops are popular is they are much cheaper to build and bmw charges the more for the convertible even though it is cheaper and cheaper for them to make.
Appreciate 1