View Single Post
      01-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #76
PeregrineFalcon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: vw cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
We already know the 992 GTS is a good bit faster in a straight line - just ran 10.9@128 mph which is a good bit faster than any M3/4X tested. Also in any head to head battle the 911 is likely to win despite having less hp (much less in the case of a base or S).

https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...-carrera-s-992

https://fastestlaps.com/models/bmw-m...etition-xdrive
Like I said, I was not talking about GTS, I was talking about 4S or S model.
And in most head to head comparisons (on the same day), M4C was always faster than the base Carrera on the track (which was not the case in the past), and marginally slower than the S model, and if the XDrive is on average faster about 0,5 - 1sec. on some tracks than the RWD M4, it would be also as fast as 911 2S on some tracks which is nothing short of amazing!

Quote:
If your going to talk M4 CSL that competes with a GT3 and definitely will be an uphill battle which it’s never won before.
Again, I'm not so sure about that:

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/hpl1rdf20e2t

But I do agree that the new M4CSL will have a hard time beating GT3 on any track, but we have to wait and see?!

Quote:
The 911 is faster on the Ring, Hockenheim, Sachsenring, Variano handling course. etc. Any track where there are comparable the S is faster.
My point is that the gap is marginal in most cases, just look at the Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times, the difference is less than a second, and I have little doubt that the incoming M4CS (which will be more comparable price wise) will be faster on the Ring than Carrera S, and probably on some other tracks which is mind blowing!

Quote:
If you look at the Carrera S which in reality makes about 100 hp less and has a lesser power to weight, it beats not only the M3/4 Rwd, but also beats the Comp and Xdrive at every track they’ve have an overlapping time on. These M cars are fast but they are quite hefty and it shows. Over 5 or 10 laps the deltas would be quite large too
Do you have the data to support the claim that M4 is making 100 hp more (dyno test on the same day on the same dyno)?

I have found only one track where XDrive and Carrera S are over lapping, but like I said, on some tracks the difference might be nonexistent judging by the time RWD M4 set.

Quote:
I absolutely think my G80 M3 is incredible for the price but these cars make times based on power whereas the 911s make lap times more on handling and braking than pure power and to me the latter not only is more impressive but more sustainable lap after lap. Just look at how close the GT3 got the the AMG black series while being down on power by about 250 hp.
The M3 does provide a great all around package but the Porsches are just the better package for driving. And in the space of GT cars, not even close. That’s my take as the owner of both currently and many previously.
Porsches have always been more expensive. They sell at far lower numbers, so yea, they’re going to be expensive. IMO they’re well worth MSRP for the performance and quality that they delivery.
First we have to take in to account that the M3/4 are based on the regular street car (huge handicap from dynamic standpoint), and that they are considerably heavier which will most definitely negate the power gap (they have on average almost the same power to weight ratio).
So, to say that M3/4 is making its time just based on power is wrong, and the fact that the BMW is considerably faster on the track than its rivals with the same amount of power (Gulia, C63S etc.) is just showing that they have made a great handling car!
Also, the M4XDrive was faster on Monticello Motor Club North Course than the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing that has significantly better power to weight ratio.

At the moment, in my opinion there is not better value for the money than the M4, with almost Carrera S performance level on the track, and the CS model will only elevate that even higher!
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25222.00
JTO245276.00
02M3ForMe4270.50