View Single Post
      10-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #14
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Also, the characterization that BMW's shifter is "rubbery" and clutch travel long is now a cliche. Those characteristics are in fact the defining characteristics of a BMW. And for the most part, the rubbery sensation is not even as prevalent. In fact, back in the day when I had my Mazdaspeed 3 (remember those? Haha), it felt more rubbery.

Now, of course if you compare to a Porsche or a Miata, their shifter / clutch feel are more direct and positive. Now is that "better"? Not necessarily, but I would argue it is what people have been told that this is the gold standard. I quite enjoy driving different cars and experiencing the various nuances that makes each car manufacturer unique. Oh and anecdotally, I have heard a few long time German BMW enthusiasts and I heard they actually prefer this feel, especially during daily driving. You would think if this shifter was indeed terrible, BMW engineers would have changed it years ago when the manual transmissions were found in the regular lineup.