SigmaShift
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by will0621 View Post
A few thoughts on the M8- I don’t mean to offend anyone with the M8 or in the market for one, it is an amazing car that has great styling and the performance of a supercar. The car just fills a niche that just never made sense to me personally.

It is a heavy 2 door Gt car. If I am looking for a coupe, I would personally want something lighter and more nimble.

The pricing- I cannot get over how much more marked up the price of a M8 vs a M5 is. Before the 2022 price drop I think it was 145k starting. This would be like the m4 starting at 100k vs the m3. It is the same powertrain in a different body, and not even a lighter chassis at that. The interior is better but not 30k better. The looks are subjective, if one really favors the m8 and hates the m5 styling then the price will be justified, as you shouldn’t get a car you can’t stand to look at. Pricing is the main reason I picked a m5 over a m8gc, if it was only slightly marked up the way a m4 vs a m3 was, it probably would be a coin toss between those two.

For m8 price territory, something like an AMG Gtr makes more sense, which is an actual sports car and still checks off the TT V8 box. Or a R8. Of course a z06 is always a benchmark for v8 coupes, but I am guessing if you are looking for a m8 you want more luxury with the performance.

Now the 2022 m8 starts at 130k, but for the above points above I would only consider one if I found a huge discount on it. I guess bmw is trying to compete with the gt63, but even still the amg has the gtr, which BMW’s lineup has nothing to compare with it. At least Mb gave the gt63 more hp than the e63, however minimal it may be but at least to differentiate them more.

That being said again the m8 is an amazing car with supercar performance, I just don’t prefer heavy 2 doors, and the pricing of it makes no sense to me. Everyone has different personal tastes and situations. For me best to get a slightly used one or a great deal on one like some of the other posters have.
M8 comp is faster or as fast as all of those cars acceleration wise.
Appreciate 0