View Single Post
      12-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #16
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman View Post
I had an E90 with winter tires in Canada for a few years, generally I agree with you, you will be fine. But winter tires with an all wheel drive is certainly the next step above a RWD car. An AWD set up with winters will absolutely impress you, and make winter even more fun! I would definitely lean towards an all wheel drive M3 in living in the north despite the extra cost. There will be a situation, say every other winter, where you'll be able to say "there is no way I would have made it thru that in a RWD car." Maybe not every year, but it will happen.
I personally think that the AWD car on the highway in heavy rain may be a little safer too, just my opinion.

That's another good point I hadn't thought of. Taking a turn aggressively in dry weather or slightly wet conditions would probably be a lot safer in AWD.

Another point is that we have a high clearance SUV for when the snow is really bad. I'm wondering if I would just take that out in the snow or stick with my low clearance AWD on snows? If it's staying the garage in really deep snow for the rare 8-12+ inches of snow, it may as well be RWD.
Appreciate 0