View Single Post
      09-13-2023, 12:41 PM   #105
MarkOK
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i Convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
I am totally against a M3 pure EV but yes in the end the legislators will win. I think a lot of folks see this is with a US biais vision. There are many countries in which the push for EV is Well ahead. Let’s think about China for example and this is a growing market.

In here many EV have 2 years + waiting list since we have very cheap electricity and highly taxed fuel.

I think we should leave sport cars out of the EV formula there is a purity and an involvement that only ICE can replicate.

I still wonder why the push toward ev is not focus in area where the gain would be much greater: Trains, commercial trucks, pick up, offroaders things that use alot of fuel not replacing a diesel car that can do 4L/100kms for a Tesla.
The problems with the cases you mention is that to get decent performance metrics you need a LOT of battery weight. A "Tesla semi" for example would only be able to carry half the load weight as a regular semi to not violate weight restrictions on US highways. So, it's 'half' the logistical efficiency just on how much load you can move.

Ultimately, I think the US (especially) needs to focus on better urban planning so that over time we need fewer individual cars overall, and with cars, focus more on mileage efficiencies for ICEs and overall weights and sizes for safety reasons (most cars and trucks, especially EVS, are way too effing big), than forcing EV infrastructure to be built and letting cars grow to the size and weights of tanks.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN21321.00