View Single Post
      12-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #6
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDave View Post
Ceramic coatings don’t add much in terms of gloss, it’s all in the prep work.
Thank you all! This statement, however, has me a bit confused. While the paint protective features of ceramic coatings are certainly a plus, the central reason I personally am interested in getting ceramic is the hope that it will provide a glossy/showroom look when clean. I want to be able to pull out of a car wash and have my car look like it was freshly waxed. If the ceramic coating does not provide a wax-like gloss after a car wash and I still need to resort to waxing, then this doesn't seem to fit the bill for me.

Quote:
The only practical downside is bird bombs…if you get one and it leaves an etch in the coating, it’s more difficult to spot correct than if the car was waxed or sealed.
I must confess that I am not good about cleaning my car regularly and bird droppings might sit for days/weeks before they are washed off. I understand that this is not good for paint/clear coat but will leaving bird droppings on a ceramic coating leave behind a permanent mark that is significantly more noticeable than any mark left behind if the car was not coated (and not waxed)?

Quote:
If you’re doing it yourself, the preparation is the biggest downside. Paint decontamination and correction, then proper wipe down to remove all remnants of products used for correction is a time consuming (but worthwhile) process. All of those steps are recommended prior to applying a ceramic coating (and why it costs more to have it done)
If I get the ceramic coating done, it will be right after I take delivery of the car. Does this mean that no prep work and paint color correction is involved, and so it just makes sense to apply the coating myself?
Appreciate 0