GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
Yes electric is where it is going, but, where is all this new supply coming from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback93 View Post
This is exactly where my mind goes whenever someone brings up the EV subject. Where is all that extra power going to come from? We certainly know the power grid isn’t up to snuff. Look at what happened in Texas.
The power generation problem is pretty simple: no *consistent, reliable, & dependable* electricity demand to cost-justify new generation capacity - which requires capital intensive new plant construction, as in billions $$ of capital. Ever try to get a corporate project funded? Then you know what I"m talking about ...

EXAMPLE
Let's say you own a sportsball foam-finger shop then, unexpectedly, the team wins the big game! Should you buy more diesel, foam mixture, & hire contractors to double your foam finger production ... or will you get stuck with too many and take a loss?

Maybe the right approach is raise prices of the existing fingers, but no overall production increase ... Yeah, that's probably safest. Sound like Texas?

In the 1960s & 70s, the US had no problem increasing generation capacity for the rise of air conditioning, and it'll have no problem increasing generation capacity for EVs ... What power companies are waiting for are indicators of persistent demand increases so they can cost justify the massive capital needed for new plants, something that's not yet materialized with EVs at 2%.

I'm very confident in capitalism: given the demand, supply is always met.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post

They are never taking away my Z4.
There are still horses, and there'll always be (used) Z4s ... they just won't be as convenient to use, fuel, & maintain as they are now. No need for drama.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-30-2021 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 1