View Single Post
      08-20-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

The v12's are already done for. The V-8's will be gone soon. Some high electric assist V or I 6's will take their place if manufacturers want to keep Petrol fueled engines in their lineup - think Acura NSX powertrain.

I got my V12 in large part because of this. It's a long term purchase, 10-15 years minimum. It gets driven 3-5K a year. By the end of this time span my kids will be fully on their own, and I'll likely downsize to a smaller sports car of the day (which will surely be an EV).

It will be quite rare when I have to decide what to do with it. It's fully optioned out too, so desirable in that sense. Yes, the end of big engines steered my decision. The Alpina was a strong contender, but for the same price in slightly used market I was able to get a V12.

I drove tesla model S with more power and torque, but no soul and an Ikea interior. It evoked no desire to "live" with it's short comings. Cool acceleration, but that's about where the "cool" ended for me. I don't care about the tech very much, and a loaded M760i has an awful lot of cool tech, more than the tesla actually. I think the Tesla is cool as shit, just not for me, not for my "I'm gonna keep it" car.

I looked at other brands too, there aren't many left to choose from already. I think we already passed the peak of big gas engines with big reliable power, they still exist but are in steep decline. This decline will accelerate.
Appreciate 1