07-07-2021, 11:59 PM   #390
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Not surprised by the amount of hate this car has received. We seem to want to hate on what's new.

Serious question, was anyone excited about the look of this car when it first launched?

The answer is no. I'm sure bland/boring was a common narrative. They changed that with this car.

Give it time because the G22 will grow on you. There are elements of this car that are fantastic and far superior to the outgoing model.
So, you are posting the most blatant 2 series design with candle lights *(BMW should never offer that) and the mediocre front bumper to prove your point.
In my opinion the actual 2 Series is one of the most beautiful BMW's as they kept the grill dimensions, the Hofmeister kink, the DNA of the Corona Rings that look excellent in this conservative yet elegant headlights. A balanced design overall.

*In the F22, the middle design line goes through the handle flowing and connecting all the elements including the handle and front fender the boomerang.
The new one has the handle slapped in there, just to make sure you have one.

*In the old one the door is bulked and flows with the rear fender while in the new one it does not.

*The F22 bottom contains another elegant line that flows through and which gives an overall look that is connected with the line described by the middle bulge of the body forcing the light to give you a reflection line in any angle of the car. (see pic 2)
In the new car the black bottom looks like was glued later by some ricer guy.

* In the old one the bottom line is arched up and connected with the rear spoiler line showing continuity and an aerodynamic kinetic design that inspires movement and airflow.
In the new one the bottom line doesn't even flow with the rear bumper line.

*The F22 hood was much more balanced and perfectly integrated with the vehicle as a whole, while the new bonet looks longer and like it doesn't belong in there, or atleast id doesn’t scream “compact” or small and nimble...

* The vertical line in the front fender on the new one looks not only odd but out of place. Let's not mention the terrible placement right beside the arch of the fender where the two elements just won't work together! It looks like an accident dent or something. A vertical line thrown under an horizontal one and right beside a curved one? WTF is that?

* Actually, while I am looking at this car in this OFFICIAL pictures, I don't have the feeling that I am seeing a vehicle that was designed like that, but rather an odd repaired vehicle.

The taillights are just horrendous and the front triangles are not far either.

I am in the opinion that we can’t even falk about a design language but rather a mix of elements.

It looks quite generic otherwise with nothing that will awe the audience. They could do a much better job especially when they had already a beautiful predecessor.
At least they kept the kidneys to a decent size....
Just looking at the reflections of both cars you can already see the attention to detail between the two.

The interior looks better and the door panels are really nice.

Technically however, sounds really good on the paper and I like the specs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 07-08-2021 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 3