View Single Post
      05-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #38
ryanb06
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
In fairness, I need more seat time before drawing any firm conclusions on not only the S58/ZF8, but the entire driving/performance experience offered by the G80 M3C.

I must say, BMW engineers know how to engineer cars, and the M3C is engineered wonderfully. However, I am not sure the M3C will live up to my performance expectations of an ///M icon?

I am sitting on top of the fence currently and do not know which direction more seat time will take me? If pressured to draw conclusion at this very moment, I would lean toward stating the M3C has deviated too far from being a driver’s car for my liking, and more into the cruiser realm. . . and it will take a small miracle for me to embrace the ZF8.

To try and summarize things down to a few bullet points:

- S58 delivers power. Moves M3C chassis quick and fast.
- S58 sounds fantastic wrung-out, as well as in terms of exhaust note.
- ZF8 has too many gears and shifts are extremely disappointing at top of rev band.
- M3C chassis is too big/heavy and has nowhere to hide.

///AVM

P.S. A couple of my favorite pics

Coming from an F82 and having driven the G80 Comp for a few days as a loaner/take home test drive, I agree with what you said about the transmission but disagree on the chassis.

I have a few sections of road closeby that are very technical and I didnt notice any lower speeds in the corners vs the F82. The car didnt understeer or push into any of the corners vs the F82; instead I think I couldve gone a touch faster (not by much) in the G80 if I had more seat time.

I think the weight is there in the G80 but cornering speeds dont show it. The traction from standstill is phenomenal vs the F82. If I have to give up a bit of weight for the traction increase then thats fine by me. At this point, I really dont see the need for Xdrive but I havent tried it in the rain.

Is it possible that what you're experiencing has more to with comparing a long wheelbase car with shorter wheelbase cars? Shorter wheelbase cars could give the feeling of nimbleness without it actually being reflected in the times.
Appreciate 0