View Single Post
      10-27-2021, 09:15 PM   #3
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
I couldn't agree more with either of your sentiments. So let me give my take on this and take it for what it's worth:

TL;DR If I'm going to spend money on wheels, it will be for something nice, and equal or better, in the aesthetics. I live in NH and know stock 825M's with Sottozero 3's will be more than fine for me.

I live in southern NH, and we have some serious snow/ice/winter weather up here, and first and foremost; I still went with rear-wheel drive. While AWD with winter tires is the best option for winter, I've had so many AWD BMW's and other makes/models, and can count on one hand the times I've really needed it…and all the times, I could have stayed home or could have taken my wife's SUV. I also get that people want the AWD M3/4 not only for winter, but for traction as they mod their vehicle…that said, I know how to drive in snow, and know that with common sense and snow tires, my RWD 21' M3C and I will be just fine. To those that have AWD, more power to you; I personally wanted a RWD base, as this is my first M car, but had to settle on the comp (I know, poor me), as I have Boston traffic and want my wife to be able to take it out the rare moments she can.

I know all that has nothing to do with stock wheels and using them for winter vs. smaller/narrower, aftermarket wheels, but before I give my two cents, I wanted folks to understand my though process etc., as it matters when it comes to opinions in this space, IMHO.

So I have the 825M wheels, and almost bought some cheap wheels for winter, but I've decided to use there with the Pirelli Sottozero 3. Come summer, I will either by a set of 826M bi-color, as I really do like them, and will throw my stock Michelins on them, or I will use the 825Ms again for summer. Bottom-line, there are some really nice wheels out there, e.g. HRE, that I really hope to buy in the near future, as well as those stock 826Ms that I don't have, and if I'm going to spend money on something for my M3, it's going to be on something I want and will improve aesthetics from my POV.

Will the stock 825Ms be better than all those other setups, hell no, but I have a brain between my ears and will respect winter and my M3 and know I'll be just fine. Though I will say I'm in the position that I work from home full time, have a choice between my M3 or my wife's SUV, any and every time I go out, so if it's that bad, I will stay home or use the SUV; not everyone has the luxury and I understand that.

I haven't made the purchase yet, as I'm looking into trying to buy the Michelin Alpin 5 winter tires, and just in general, waiting to see if anything else becomes available in the stock sizes for us. When I do and get them on, I'll post pics again here…I'll be making a purchase here in the next two weeks tops.

EDIT: This angle always makes me drool 🤤
Attached Images

bmbob268.00