05-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #17
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
It likely has nothing to do with the actually mechanics of the keycard, the manual has a different console setup that is shared with the non-us manual base models (320 and below).

They keycard nfc receiver is part of the auto console design and would require a separate design for the manual. That much is a fact.

BMW likely projected near 0 demand for the digital key in the low end manual models that supported the volume for the manual console design, leaving only the M3/M4 models where there would be overlap in demand for manual and demand for digital key. Their choice was look at the data and 1) data says not offering digital key would be a blocker for manual M3/m4 purchases leading to missing sales targets then design a new nfc receiver setup that goes with the manual 2) do not design new setup and assume manual sales will be unaffected
As I said, perhaps it should have been obvious to me. I can see that the digital key access would use NFC, but I had (incorrectly) assumed that the NFC receiver in the vehicle would have been part of the wireless charging pad, so when you moved the pad, you would move the receiver at the same time. It appears that the NFC receiver was a separate piece that happened to be near the charging pad on the automatic models.
Appreciate 0