View Single Post
      03-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #130
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

I am in the commercial vehicle OEM manufacturing business (and have many years experience in car engineering and manufacturing - although unfortunately not with BMW!) and while the supply situation has dramatically improved over the last few months it remains highly volatile.
We are still getting, in some cases with less than 48 hours notice from scheduled start of vehicle build, notice that parts will not be shipped or will be delivered with reduced functionality.
I assume BMW has a little more control and visibility of their supply chain but I suspect in frequent cases they too are getting ‘surprised’. The whole industry is living hand to mouth on parts supply right now. Once a vehicle is within days or hours of assembly, pulling it from production because of parts issues is very hard and disruptive to the sequencing of part delivery to the assembly line.
I know this is no comfort to anyone whose G8X gets built without a feature that was purposefully selected, but it is an unfortunate fact of life, at least for now.