10-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #16
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
BMW has definitely stared down the grill haters.

Here's the thing though - most complaining are going on about their love of the older designs and their dislike of the new colours, partnerships with lifestyle brands and hyper aggressive grills.

BMW knows full well the M3 makes its brand. Future generations are giving up on cars. You have to appeal to them to give your brand legs going forward. And they are doing that ten times over - after all they only get to launch a new M3 every 7 years.

The older M buyers can retreat to a M5 or SUV or go back hardcore to a M2. The brand will live on through their hyped up M3 marketing.

And that's why they're smarter than the complainers.
All these are fair points and brands do have to reinvent themselves from time to time. Time will tell whether becoming a lifestyle brand is the right decision over sticking to driving and motorsports.

Personally, i have my own lifestyle brands and I’d like to see BMW double down on motoring and do something like take Honda’s place as an F1 engine supplier. But they won’t, and rightly so - hypebeasts are a much bigger market than F1 fans.

But couldn’t they have made the G8x flamboyant but not ugly? Even if your strategy is good, you still have to nail the execution. Lamborghini at this point is more of a lifestyle brand itself, and they don’t make ugly cars.
Appreciate 3