Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
Good grief. BMW can’t get its story straight. Which is it, BMW? You want “eyes on the road” or you embrace touchscreens? BMW’s own press releases are hugely contradictory. Example: iDrive 9 vs. panoramic HUD

From the iDrive 9 press release: “After about 20 years, the digital user experience is dominated by touchpads, touch-sensitive smartphone displays and voice assistants. Swiping, tapping and speaking are the most common methods of interaction. The BMW Curved Display’s touchscreen functionality and dialogue using natural language represent the contemporary form of interaction between human and vehicle.”

From the HUD press release: “We are taking our proven “eyes on the road – hands on the wheel slogan to a new level.”

So, which is it? Do you embrace eyes-on-the-road and “hands on the wheel”, or do you want touchscreens everywhere? You can’t have both. This is all marketing nonsense, and a sign that BMW is losing its way when it comes to the driving experience and user interface. BMW obviously doesn’t really have an overall strategy here, other than “save money” and “pass this off with a bunch of marketing mumbo-jumbo”
I think we’re in the middle of a roadmap that’s trying to do both until they can evolve more. I’ve never had to take my eyes off the road as much in a bmw as in my iD8. You make a solid point
Appreciate 2