View Single Post
      03-16-2023, 12:25 PM   #54
BobBMWX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 22

I like that BMW is thinking about enhancing the HUD to new levels. Moving the instrument cluster to a HUD. Using some of the smart technology, it could display the most important stuff front and center, less important to the side. Examples. If you are exceeding speed limit, show that in display, otherwise, remove it. If you are manually shifting, show the RPMs at the shift points, then move it to the side. The current setup for navigation is a good example of useful HUD displays, but could be enhanced, like maybe showing a pic of street view when you are supposed to turn.

I have the HUD in my X3. Right now it is nice, but not a must have. Very little information, not very dynamic, and not smart.

If BMW does innovate on it, I could see it changing the interior of automobiles in a big way. Their concept shows all those ugly screens gone, which is possible with a good HUD.

It might even bring back the dials and buttons that people love so much. Removing the touch screen removes that input control that is a fad now. In the concept they had it embedded in the dash, but it could easily bring back the idrive controller and some nearby buttons integrated with the HUD.
Appreciate 1