View Single Post
      03-18-2024, 08:46 AM   #20
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Not in all cars. In my Porsches they most definitely suck air in. Believe me, my kids know when I fart in that car because it gets blown back in their face immediately
Yes, same in our Q7. I believe VWAG does this for ALL of their ventilated seats. Since heat and ventilation are controlled separately, this allows you to run both when, for example, you are damp and cold.

The ones in the M3 are weird. In operation, they feel to me more like the ones in the Audi, where air is being drawn away from you than others I've experienced that blow air directly on you. But if I turn up ventilation to the highest setting, put a grocery bag open end down on the seat bottom, and hold the edges down, the bag very slowly inflates. Air is coming out, but the amount is very slight.

So my theory is that they're intended to work on a principle similar but not identical to the VWAG ones, where the primary goal is to cool the seat mass and not the occupant directly. This in turn allows more heat to be absorbed from the occupant as a secondary effect. They do this by circulating air through the internals of the seat, a small amount of which can escape through the perforations. But the air coming out is not the primary source of cooling effect. I don't know if it even comes out at all when you're actually sitting there.

Again, this is my supposition based on observation and not a statement of fact. An alternative explanation is that they are intended to blow out at the occupant, and even with nine fans, they still barely push any air at all.

Appreciate 1
Berzerker3037.50