05-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #78
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
When I first read your initial post I thought either you were crazy or something was amiss with your transmission experience. I'm so glad you figured out the issue because this ZF8 and S58 are an excellent match and in S3 the shifts are incredibly quick!

Yesterday I spent some highway time playing in the 5-7k RPM range and feeling the power curve and shift characteristics for 3rd and 4th gear. This is in my X3MC but it is becoming more clear these powertrains behave the same. The engine power up to 7k is really astounding and shifts are crisp at the top although if you are rapidly approaching redline, you do have to shift just slightly before redline to not hit fuel cutoff. If accelerating to redline more slowly you feel the power all the way to the top and it sounds very very good.

It's good to hear from another commuter that really drives the wheels off their M car. I enjoy mine every day and use all the special M that it has to offer.
Thank you T

Yes, I think my inadvertent ZF8 experience proved one thing for sure . . . there is a big difference between S1 and S3 When I discovered the computer 'glitch' it completely transformed my G80 driving experience.

Although slow throughout the rev-band, S1 is almost non-functional with aggressive shifting near redline . . . as per my attempt to describe in earlier posts, almost like bouncing off the rev-limiter with every shift, which might very well be the functional case? Anyway, problem solved and all is good in my world.

Indeed, these machines were meant to be driven hard and so much fun when they are driven as such.

As a side note, my local dealership got an X3M Comp in Donnignton Grey Metallic that stayed on the lot for all of about 2h. I just so happened to be getting my spacers placed when it rolled out of the detailing bay. My goodness, that Donnington Grey is an absolutely beautiful color. I recently owned a couple Macan Turbos and they were amazing feats of engineering. I know it would throw the entire G80/82 sub-forum into a frenzy if stated the Turbo performed similarly to my G80 M3C . . . so I will just keep that to myself Nonetheless, I have no doubt your X3M Comp is also quite a machine.

///AVM
Appreciate 0