View Single Post
      01-05-2022, 06:49 PM   #423
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
I'm torn between Scylla and Charybdis at this point.

I've decided to purchase a set of 826M's in 19" for the rear, but the main concern is officially tyre choice since having 19's all around opens up a few more possibilities vs the stock 19/20.

I'm currently torn between a square set of VikingContact 7's, and Alpin PA4's. Basically, do I want to go for performance winters, or do I go for studless snow & ice.

I'm in Westchester N.Y. but frequently drive to the Bronx and sometimes LI. The roads range anywhere between completely clear, to icy death (the part of the Bronx I frequent doesn't get ploughed often and my old folks' driveway/area is seldom shovelled). I don't particularly care for spirited driving as my main objective driving during the winter/snow is getting from point A to B safely and securely, sometimes with my 7 month old daughter, but there is a need to be able to manoeuvre because of garbage drivers that are everywhere. So I don't care too much that Alpin 4/5, Sottozero, and Blizzaks (the non WS90 at least) will handle better per sé. I did however, read that studless snow/ice tyres actually don't grip as well in completely dry pavement above a certain temperature? I suspect 85% of the time I drive, the roads will be fine, but the last thing I want is to be stuck that one time the roads are bad on performance winters, or look for grip on dry roads while on studless snow/ice tyres. Can anyone shed light on the grip on dry pavement on studless snow/ice tyres?

I had a set of Alpin PA4's on my old GT3 and they were pretty good, but when I think about my family now - I don't care for the performance aspect at all and just want the tyre that'll keep me/us safest.
I think you want performance winters like Alpin 5.
I'm in Brooklyn BTW. If the snow is that bad you will be taking it super easy and the Alpins will be fine. If it's just cold and below freezing which is most of the time in deep winter, I think the performance winters will have more time when they work better. As soon as you have a couple of slightly warm days, those studless snow tires are probably going to not perform well would be my guess.
Appreciate 0