1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
James May did a quick video on why he sold his Ferrari 308 I believe it was? Basically he got it out of his system and the car didn't interest him anymore, it was slower and felt old. It's a sad fate for these cars, especially if you're old enough to remember them as new.
Agreed, I'm old enough to remember 80s cars as new. They still have more soul than anything built in the 2000s and always will (same with the S65 vs any FI powered car) but unless you are buying it as a car for nostalgic drives now and then it just can't match the overall daily satisfaction of the newest cars.
I test at drove a g80 yesterday and my current car is an e92 m3 comp. I've had pretty much every m3 and m coupé except the f80 m3 and going back to back from the g80 to the e92 it's pretty clear the ride quality in the e92 is superior.

The g80 feels similar to the f80's I've driven where the quest for faster lap times has lead to a ride on normal roads that's too firm IMO. I will still probably buy the car as it's best of the current competition but I wish bmw softened down comfort suspension so there was less vertical motion transmitted to the occupants on rough roads. Previous m3's struck a better balance between compliance and body control IMO.

To me despite how fast the m3 is on track it's still a road car and needs to work on the road. That's my biggest complaint about the car but oh well.