10-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #37
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
That makes sense. But remember the highest demographic of M3 owners has been 30-45 years old. If BMW anticipates this to be lowered to 25-35 that's fine, but age is only one segmentation of the demographics.

The Civic Type R (BMW Performance Exhaust) approach they are going for is making me consider MB or Porsche next. I can't buy or drive a car that I'd feel embarrassed to be seen in because it's the car 20 year olds with 100K Instagram followed are now buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
All these are fair points and brands do have to reinvent themselves from time to time. Time will tell whether becoming a lifestyle brand is the right decision over sticking to driving and motorsports.

Personally, i have my own lifestyle brands and I’d like to see BMW double down on motoring and do something like take Honda’s place as an F1 engine supplier. But they won’t, and rightly so - hypebeasts are a much bigger market than F1 fans.

But couldn’t they have made the G8x flamboyant but not ugly? Even if your strategy is good, you still have to nail the execution. Lamborghini at this point is more of a lifestyle brand itself, and they don’t make ugly cars.
Tbf the pricing of BMWs including the M cars make them very affordable and achievable for the average enthusiast, which is why the civic type r gets so much love (i hate that classless car btw).

If you really want a P car that is exclusive, I suggest a GT2 RS or GT3 RS with a Weissach package for ~$350k as non GT and even the GT4 cars won't gain you any "street cred" with boomers.

BMW is a mainstream and I dare to say budget brand and if lifestyle brands are what you are looking for, I never hear owners of Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Mclarens complaining.

We have so much damn choice in a very competitive market that something will tingle your butt dyno...
Appreciate 0