01-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #61
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I wasn't falling back on 26 years of driving MT cars for credibility. It was just to suggest that after years of playing with my own stick, I decided I'd rather let someone else do it Seemed more fun that way

Creepy analogies aside, I agree. I was just having some fun. Thank for being a good sport.

I've been driving manuals my whole life, and one single test drive in the DCT turned my whole world upside down. Keep in mind, that I had a ZF8 auto 335i at some point, and could not stand it. It was such a perfect transmission and so excellent at what it does, but just did not do it for me. With the DCT however, I was completely impressed. I came away from that experience with much more respect for the DCT, and find it very hard to criticize anyone who leaves a manual behind for that kind of performance. I secretly sometimes wonder if I should have ordered my f80 with a DCT, but I guess I still have a few years of MT in me. If they force it on us, and the day comes when BMW only offers the ZF8 auto and DCT in their cars, I will not be the first one to complain.

As long as they offer us a "superior" alternative (I know, highly subjective and debatable), I am OK with that. I they take away the 6MT, but offer us a buttery smooth and incredibly competent ZF8 ... or in the case of M cars, a lightning quick, and sledge hammer kick in the back of your seat, high performance MDCT ... well, I can make peace with that.
Appreciate 1