04-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #24
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahfl View Post
I used to have an E92 and now I currently have an F80 that I love. One of the newer reasons I love my current car, aside from how the nose and hood look, is the presence of my console buttons. For the uninitiated, the console buttons are the physical buttons on previous M cars near the gear lever that allow you to customize traction/MDM, throttle/power, steering weight and suspension stiffness/EDC.

IMO, I actually have three M drive modes — M1, M2, and realtime-customized based on which console button I press for other specific driving conditions. The benefit of this is, I can be in my sportiest M2 setting and then on the fly change the suspension stiffness to a little softer if a new road I'm on is crappier than other roads or be in my more comfortable M1 setting and then bump up any one of the other settings based on what I feel like.

When I found out that in the new 2021+ M cars, the typical console buttons had been replaced with a single M mode button, which is actually a shortcut to an iDrive menu, I immediately reconsidered getting a new one.

For all the previous-generation M owners, do you miss the physical console buttons? This leads me to believe that now M owners only have M1 and M2 and cannot make real time adjustments to a particular driving condition. Is that true? I see that as a real design mistake.

This isn't a mud-slinging post. I would like to get a new M, but I want to know what people think, so please don't get defensive.
This bums me out. I always use those buttons to make adjustments to the M1, M2 settings. Having said that, I don't think it's a major enough inconvenience not to upgrade.
Appreciate 1
rajahfl38.50