View Single Post
      07-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Interesting exercise, I"m not a pilot but I worked on private aircraft. My issue with the flying car in general is it's really only a compelling idea because most people think you'll use it like a regular car.

In reality, you still have to take off and land at an airport. Even if you can do your preflight while the car is transitioning to flight trim you'd still want to get out and do a thorough ground inspection first. So about the only advantage I see is entertaining people at the local air show or maybe an air Uber for short airport to airport runs. Of course we already have rotorcraft for that so your remaining benefit is if weather grounds the airport you can drive it, but then I'd probably just call car anyway.

Also, I don't know what the final purchase price for this would be once it got into a full production run but maybe a mill???? For that money I'd look into a light turbo prop which would give you more range, speed and arguably more comfort. So what I see you're left with is unique spec aircraft that will appeal to people that like to fly odd airplanes.

I don't think it's viable for this day in age. I think the "jetsons" style personal aircraft is probably going to have to wait for anti-matter engines and unobtainium construction material.