View Single Post
      06-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #197
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Didnt read thru it all (8 plus pages) but I have both with the M8 and the G80-- plus I had the AWD F90 M5.... its ironic but now that I have the G80 I seem to have more dig lineups than ever on open streets with other cars where I wish I had AWD. But then when driving thru nice turns and bends, the G80 steering is better than the F93 AWD chassis set up for obvious reasons.

Its nice to have choices.

Not sure if this was posted in the 8 pages but a pretty good video on AWD vs RWD with a reasonably objective analysis on a wet and dry track.
I always want the best steering feel. Having driven an F90 M5 myself, it just didn't feel as playful as I wanted, even though the grip was immense. In my short test drive in the G80, it simply felt more alive.

But yes, if it's all about 0 to 60 times, and racing people on the street, get AWD. I find 90% of my fun with cars on twisty back roads, auto crosses and on the track, which is why I never found the urge to buy an AWD car. And I've never cared how my car performs in the wet, because on slippery surfaces, any modern traction control system with a behaved right foot will keep you safe. And no, I'm never racing around from light to light when the road conditions are slippery, nor am I testing my mettle on twisty roads (or even on a track) in wet conditions. It's just not fun to me, even though with these modern AWD systems, it can be quite safe and even exhilarating.

For me, it's the difference between the highly-capable, but sterile AWD 911 turbo. Sure, it's amazingly fast, and the chassis is beyond capable...but give me the "slower," more purposeful, dizzying GT3 any day. The good news is there's a place for both in the world of high performance machines, so I'm glad Porsche makes them both.

And I'm glad BMW offers both an AWD G8X and a RWD G8X. If the new M3 only came in AWD, I likely still would have purchased one at some point in this generation...but I know it will likely feel a little closer to the F90 than to the M2. And that would have saddened me a bit.

But I'm sure the G8X will still be a great car in both forms, AWD and RWD. Having only an AWD version of the M5 makes sense, because it's built to be a highly-capable daily, executive transport.
Appreciate 1
Der_Wolf888.00