SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I don't think that the argument that a big grill needs to exist for the sensors is what others posting were referring to. I think they were saying they won't do big grills because of the sensors, but we all know BMW could easily move around the tech to work with the grills, likely in the form of an off center sensor/radar similar to the Giulia or Supra. They aren't making a big grill for sensors, but rather for their own design purposes.
I've seen plenty of posts, not just here but in other forums, FB, blogs, etc., where the justification is given that essentially "it's the only way to hide all the new tech", which is a BS argument, and that's why I mentioned it. A friend of mine, well connected with BMW NA, said essentially the same thing in a FB post about huge grilles.

It kind of reminds me of the early 70s when we had federally mandated 5 MPH bumpers for 1973, and for a couple of years we had these hideous bumpers that looked like someone bolted a 4x4 on the front and rear of all new cars, BMW included, because automotive designers didn't have time to figure out a decent workaround. Then, good designers figured out how to meet the requirement by hiding the bumpers with sculpted bumper covers and pushing the grilles farther forward.

I'm also well aware that BMW thinks that they have to copy all of the other manufacturers. The Japanese designers (Lexus) started this horrible design trend. Then Audi jumped in, and of course all the American truck designers, where a large grille may actually look good, but it's gotten way, way out of hand. This is what truly makes me sad, that BMW is so insecure that they have to copy. This is likely just a design fad and in a few years, this too shall pass. And since BMW is one of the last to abandon their legendary and iconic design, we may be stuck with this after everyone else has come to their senses.

Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
IM2C2066.50