12-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #29
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
First off, I would preface by saying you should buy what you want, as long as it makes you happy.

I will follow up and say if I were in your shoes, I would no way get a frozen paint job as a daily driver. Special attention must be paid for car washes - only hand washing. Which is not an issue, but you have to pay attention to what chemicals you put on as some may cause the paint to look polished or glossy.

Regarding rock chips or damage to paint, a simple touch up paint will not do (unless you want something sticking up like a sore thumb). It will require additional prep that involves potentially sanding and respraying. And even if you did a respray on certain parts, it may still be noticeable due to how your other panels have worn over the months.

Sure, you can put an Xpel wrap on it, but in Chicago winter driving, you will have damage to the film. Remember, Xpel is not an invincibility cloak. It helps mitigate certain dings, but once punctured, it allows other projectiles and grim to build up in those areas.

In summary, if you want it pristine and have the frozen look hold up, daily driving for 12-14K miles is not going to do that without some sort of worry.
^^^^^^ this very well said

Expel stealth will give you same look without the hassle.

On multiple other threads owners of "frozen" paints discuss the inability to fix chips/scratches etc without a very Hefty price tag
maelfyn156.50