JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
You can just buy square setups for the winter, instead of keeping it as staggered in the winter.

In fact, BMW themselves offer a winter tire package that does just that. Now it will still cost more than if you were replacing a square stock setup. But at least by having squared, you can have more life out of your winter tires
Agreed in principle, wasn't sure if equalizing the wheel diameter per axle might lead to other issues such as caliper clearance or speedometer/odometer misread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreen822 View Post
Interesting point. Why would the maintenance costs go up?
I'm referring to the increased costs of running a staggered setup in winter in regards to inability to rotate tires, higher potential for punctures due to potholes and such. Most of this is mitigated if a square setup is possible. For the rest, yes of course you have to "pay to play"
No issues, actually had a discussion with my dealer and they say many owners do both square and staggered for winter. Also have personal friends that do both options.

I'm just too lazy / cheap to spend on a winter wheel and my excuse of using the 788 for winter is because then I can have a business case to buy 763M as my summer setup