View Single Post
      01-02-2022, 12:32 PM   #31
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, G87 M2 coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks23 View Post
Yeah I bought/sold my black 17 M3 with Bill Jacobs BMW...Mike there is great! I had the red in my 21 C2S cab and it looked great with GT silver...but I didn't really care for the car and sold earlier this year.

I lived in the city and the M3 with snows was great fun in weather...no issues at all driving and I'd go thru the N IN and SW MI snow belt a lot!
I figured by your username that you were a local Chicagoland guy!

Yes, the GT Silver and Red is a great combo. I had a 1997 Boxster (the first year) and a 1999 996 C2 Cab, both in Silver with Red.

Since you mentioned it about your C2S, let me expand here with my thoughts on the 911 versus 718, and tie it back to the M3. As many people rant about on Rennlist, the 911 is dead, it is a myth. The new ones are not the same car as the older ones, not even up through the water-cooled 996/997's. My 1999 996 911 was amazing. As I got back into the sporty cars here in the last year with both the Porsches and the BMWs, I was *SHOCKED* at what the 911 had become. It is a very sporty GT car. Its limits are very high on a track, I will give it that. But it has become very big, and almost numb as a street car and legalish speeds - with the exception of the GT3, which is more amazing than ever.

To me the 718 has replaced the 911 as the small sporty nimble car, at least in the special package of the 4.0L naturally aspirated engine, which is 4 cars, the Boxster GTS 4.0, the Cayman GTS 4.0, the GT 4 and the Spyder. Especially in the Manual. I would take any of those four cars over ANY 911, short of the GT3. Chris Harris has said the exact same thing.

Let me tie it back to the M3 - I was thinking of getting the new 992 GTS Coupe Manual as an upgrade to my Cayman. After driving several 992's, I came to the conclusion above. That was reinforced by my trip to the Porsche Experience Center in December. The 992 Carrera S Manual that I drove was a proxy for the GTS Manual. Because of the rear engine placement and the wide rear stance and tires, the grip limits were insane on the track at full tilt. But driving a 992 on the street has not been inspiring for me, that 7 speed manual has long throws and is more rubbery than the 718 4.0's and the clutch/flywheel feel is not as good. The engine note is not nearly as good. It is not exciting to drive on the street at legal speeds, IMO - and I have driven several, including renting a 992 for an entire weekend on Turo and putting it through the paces on country roads for a couple hundred miles. The 718 4.0's on the other hand are great fun on the street and particularly on the country roads with spirited driving at reasonable speeds.

The GT3 is AMAZING, especially the 992 with the new front end, it is other-worldly on the track, it blows away even the GT4, by a mile. And that exhaust note at 9K RPMs, to die for.

But let me give you my thoughts that have lead me to where I am here and now - the 992 911 GTS I almost ordered was about $180K. A GT3 optioned out is about $200K, before the ADMs you pay. For not much more than the 992 GTS and for less than the GT3, you can get a 718 4.0 of some sort *AND* an M3 or M4 Base Manual. Thus my dream garage shot with the 2 cars on the lift! Nirvana, for me.

That seemed to be the much better play for me than any sort of 911. Still very expensive (for the 718 + the M3), but more sane for me than trying to stretch for a $180K-$200K car that I would be afraid to take out for a drive. Sure, if I won the lottery I would get a GT3 for a dedicated track car, but I don't think that is happening anytime soon.

If I were to just do one car, I would probably do an M3 or M4 over a 911 GTS, reinforced after my first few days of M3 ownership. It has a lot more practicality to drive all year round and carry 4 people plus some luggage, and probably would be just about as much fun. Both coincidentally have exactly 473 HP, and the M3/M4 has more torque.

(My apologies if I offended any 992 911 owners/lovers. That was not my intent. It is a great sporty modern GT car with a great history. They are insanely well engineered cars with very high limits. Just offering a perspective that ties into my decision to get an M3, and why I am very happy with that decision after experiencing my M3 so far...)

Last edited by IL Pete; 01-02-2022 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 5
gohawks23426.00
akkando5867.50
mzcp2692.00
s58545.50
02M3ForMe4267.50